Updating FFXI Client Files
Assuming you’ve already downloaded and installed the FFXI client from SquareEnix, you’re ready to connect and begin updating your files.
This is a LONG step. Depending on your internet speed, this could take up to 6 hours as the FFXI servers still check and update a single file at a time.
- Open PlayOnline and let it update (and restart it).
- PlayOnline will prompt you if your a New User or Existing User. Choose Existing User.
12345678 a the username, password, and account ID for your new account. This just allows you far enough in to access the file check.
- On the left side of the screen, you’ll see Check Files. Click it.
- On the next screen where it says “PlayOnlineViewer”, click the down arrow to select “Final Fantasy XI”. The version should be UNKNOWN.
- If “Final Fantasy XI” doesn’t show up, you can download a patch from the DSP team: Read more information here.
- Click the Check Files button.
- This process should take 20-25 minutes depending on your computer’s hard drive speed. Once complete, it’ll prompt you to begin the update to fix errors (errors meaning files that don’t match current retail). Choose to “fix the errors”.
- PlayOnline will start checking and updating files. This can take 4-6 hours depending on your computer speed and internet connection.
- Once everything is updated, exit PlayOnline.
- Navigate to
\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer (or to where you installed FFXI) and copy the
\data folder. Navigate to the
\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI folder and paste that folder in that folder. You should now have a
\data folder in your
\FINAL FANTASY XI folder.
You’re done and ready to configure your windower client with either Windower or Ashita.